Saturday, May 1, 2010

Go Buy Shelter Pet Stamps


Maybe I need to send less email and write more letters so I can use these awesome animal rescue stamps that debuted at U.S. Post Offices on April 30, 2010. 

The 10 different 44-cent stamps commemorate the USPS Animal Rescue: Adopt a Shelter Pet program.  The stamps are designed by Derry Noyes of Washington, D.C., and photographed by Sally Anderson-Bruce of New Milford, Connecticut.  If you go the USPS web-site, you can roll your mouse over the images and find out more about each of these special animals.  Not only can you buy the stamps to use or to add to your philatelic collection, you can order a cool certificate for your dog or cat that includes a post-marked first-day cover stamp and the spaces for you to record your own furry friend’s adoption data.

As an animal rescue volunteer, I worked on Friday, April 30th for my local Shelter to help with a major off-site event held at the Conroe, TX, Post Office.  Although it was rainy, we had a sharp looking set up with tents and a couple dozen adoptable pets from the Montgomery County Animal Shelter in what was an unique tie-in to the rescue stamp debut. We didn't place that many animals, but we made a good impression and talked to a lot of people about the Shelter's goals for the future.

3 comments:

  1. Too cute! I defy anyone not to fall in love with those faces. I'm glad they showed a couple of purebred looking dogs as well as mutts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought some, and if still available will go get more. I wish they had put them on forever stamps, though.
    I love the shelter tie-in idea at (or near) post offices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a multi-post reader, so forgive me for being behind. I'm so sorry to hear about Taco's passing. He'll be waiting for you at the bridge, and hopefully his temperament will have mellowed a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a pawprint! I appreciate comments.